The use of permits helps the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) and the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) ensure the conservation of the Great Barrier Reef’s state and commonwealth Marine Parks. Permits allow these organisations to:
- reduce impacts on high-use and sensitive areas
- separate potentially conflicting activities
- encourage responsible behaviour in all Marine Parks users
- collect data for planning of Marine Parks
- monitor activities which may become damaging to the Marine Parks.