Starting Monday 1 March 2021, the Authority's Reef Education team are running a series of fun, STEM-based weekly challenges, across term one and two, for primary and high school students.
Whole schools are able to participate in fun marine themed challenges that will allow students to care, learn, act and share their love for the Great Barrier Reef.
How it works
- Teachers are invited to register a student or class by completing the event registration form and submitting it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each Monday, the challenge will be released by email and be published on the website. Students will have one week to complete the challenge (with the exception of challenge five which runs over the school holidays), with submission due on Monday the following week.
- Submissions for each weekly challenge are to be uploaded to the school’s social media. A link to that post should be submitted to email@example.com. Additionally, use the hashtag #rgsflec on all submission posts.
- Winners will be announced the week after the submission deadline, will be notified by email and will appear on the Reef Guardian Schools Educator Network Facebook group page. (If you are a Reef Guardian School school page or teacher, please request to join.)
Each week, the entries will be judged by the Reef Education team. Weekly winners will receive a winners certificate for themselves and their school will receive a free videoconference from Reef HQ Aquarium, the National Education Centre for the Great Barrier Reef.
There will also be a prize for the participant who submits the most entries over the 10 weeks. Only one entry per week will be counted for each participant.
Week 1 Challenge - Coral
1 - 7 March 2021
The first challenge involves the building blocks of the Great Barrier Reef – corals! There are over 600 known species of hard and soft corals on the Great Barrier Reef. Corals create the places and spaces for all reef-associated animals to live, eat and sleep.
Your challenge is:
- Research corals and the threats they face.
- Create a poster about corals and the threats they face on the Great Barrier Reef. This can be hand-drawn or digitally designed.
- Take a picture of the poster and post it to your school’s social media pages with the hashtag #rgsflec.
- Email the link to your post to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hints for research: