Starting Monday 1 March 2021, the Authority's Reef Education team are running a series of fun, STEM-based weekly challenges, across term one and two, for primary and high school students.
Whole schools are able to participate in fun marine themed challenges that will allow students to care, learn, act and share their love for the Great Barrier Reef.
How it works
- Teachers are invited to register a student or class by completing the event registration form and submitting it to email@example.com.
- We would also like to extend this invitation to families who are home educating, or interested in taking part with these challenges.
- Each Monday, the challenge will be released by email and be published on the website. Students will have one week to complete the challenge (with the exception of challenge five which runs over the school holidays), with submission due on Monday the following week.
- Submissions for each weekly challenge are to be uploaded to the school’s social media. A link to that post should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, use the hashtag #rgsflec on all submission posts.
- Winners will be announced the week after the submission deadline, will be notified by email and will appear on the Reef Guardian Schools Educator Network Facebook group page. (If you are a Reef Guardian School school page or teacher, please request to join.)
Each week, the entries will be judged by the Reef Education team. Weekly winners will receive a winners certificate for themselves and their school will receive a free videoconference from Reef HQ Aquarium, the National Education Centre for the Great Barrier Reef.
There will also be a prize for the participant who submits the most entries over the 10 weeks. Only one entry per week will be counted for each participant.
Week 10 – Protect the Reef
17 – 23 May 2021
It’s time for you to showcase your flair for theatre! Film yourself or your class performing a skit on the topic “Protect the Reef”.
You can either create your own skit or use our ‘Captain Popper Stopper’ skit about the pros and cons of poppers and reusable bottles.
Your challenge is:
- Create your own script or use the Captain Popper Stopper script.
- Practice the skit, then record your performance on video.
- Post a video to your school’s social media pages with the hashtag #rgsflec.
- Most importantly, remember to email the link to your social media post to email@example.com before 9:30am Monday 24th May (AEST- Australian Eastern Standard Time) so it can be included for judging.
Hints for research:
Further information on actions you can take can be found here.