To protect the values and balance multiple uses at a localised level, site specific management is required. It is important to consider the rules for these sites when planning your visit.
The sites listed below have either a Site Plan, Site Management Arrangement or a Special Management Area.
Before accessing the site information below refer to the following information for the Management Area:
- Zoning Maps:
- A number of declared no-anchoring areas exist throughout the Townsville Whitsundays Management Area to protect coral from anchor damage— see Moorings and no-anchoring areas for more information.
- See Mission Beach to Townsville and Whitsundays maps to find where moorings and no-anchoring areas are.
- Commercial fishers should read Special Management Areas (in addition to Zoning) to ensure they are familiar with the:
- Species Conservation (Dugong Protection) Special Management Areas
- No Dories Detached Special Management Areas; and
- One Dory Detached Special Management Areas.
Hinchinbrook Planning Area
Whitsunday Planning Area
In the Whitsunday Planning Area rules apply for vessel length and group size, vessel speeds around significant bird sites and where motorised water sports can occur. Designated and Superyacht Anchorages are available with a booking.
Spearfishing is not allowed in all of the Conservation Park Zones (yellow zones) in the Public Appreciation Special Management Area. These areas are not listed below. See the Spearfishing factsheet.