5 December 2017 – Townsville
The Marine Park Authority Board (MPA) convened on Tuesday 5 December 2017. Members discussed the Risk Management Register; Reef 2050 Policy Development; Operational Planning and Performance Reporting; Outlook Report 2019 Chapters and the Reef 2050 and Integrated Monitoring, Modelling and Reporting Program update.
Decision MPA 248 (2017-248-9 on 05/12/2017): The Authority:
- Revoked each instrument of delegation identified at paragraph 7.
- Delegated the powers and functions in each proposed instrument of delegation identified.
Supplementary Explanatory Statement – Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Amendment (Whitsundays Plan of Management) Instrument 2017
Decision MPA 248 (2017-248-10 on 05/12/2017): The Authority:
- Approved the Supplementary Explanatory Statement for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Amendment (Whitsundays Plan of Management) Instrument 2017.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage Strategy
Decision MPA 248 (2017-248-11 on 05/12/2017): The Authority:
- Approved the release of the draft Great Barrier Reef Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage Strategy for public comment.
Reef Interventions Policy
Decision MPA 248 (2017-248-12 on 05/12/2017): The Authority:
- Endorsed the release of the draft reef interventions policy for public comment.
- Noted the release of a supporting information sheet on reef interventions.
Draft Fish Cage Policy
Decision MPA 248 (2017-248-13 on 05/12/2017): The Authority:
- Endorsed the release of the draft fish cage policy for targeted consultation with relevant commercial fishing representatives and Fisheries Queensland.
- Noted that the draft policy will be provided to the Marine Park Authority Board for endorsement for release for public comment after targeted consultation.
Great Barrier Reef Blueprint for Resilience
- Notedthe process to prepare and finalise the Blueprint, including consultation with external partners (Summit participants) and Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority staff.
- Noted the final version of the Blueprint, how it is informing strategic planning, and other information relating to its implementation.
Joint Field Management Program Business Planning and Reporting
Decision MPA 248 (2017-248-20 on 05/12/2017): The Authority:
- Noted the Joint Field Management Program’s Business Strategy 2018 to 2022, Annual Business Plan 2017‑18, Annual Report 2016-17 and Annual Report Summary 2016-17.
Douglas Shoal Environmental Remediation Project
Decision MPA 248 (2017-248-21 on 05/12/2017): The Authority:
- Noted the status of the Douglas Shoal Environmental Remediation project and proposed next steps.
Members of the Authority
- Dr Russell Reichelt FTSE [Chairman]
- Ms Melissa George
- Professor Emma Johnston
- Mrs Margie McKenzie
- Mr Dave Stewart