29 June 2017 – Brisbane
The Marine Park Authority Board (MPA) convened on Thursday 29 June 2017 and approved several tourism-related policies to improve the Permission System. Members approved the Costal Ecosystems Position Statement for public comment. Members were updated on the Great Barrier Reef Summit – Managing for Resilience Outcomes and the Operational Review Workshop; and the penalties applying to repeat Marine Park offenders (‘three strikes” provisions). A presentation was provided to Members from the Chair of the Indigenous Reef Advisory Committee.
Improving the Permission System
Decision MPA 246 (2017-246-8 on 29/06/2017): The Authority:
- Agreed to revoke the 2009 Environmental impact management policy.
- Agreed to revoke the 2010 Structures policy.
- Approved the Environmental impact management: permission system policy and for the policy to take effect at the same time as the amended Regulations take effect.
- Confirmed the delegation to the Chairman for the Authority to recommend the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Amendment (Permission System) Regulations 2017 to the Minister for approval.
- Noted for information the Guidelines for applications, Guidelines for assessments and decisions, and the Risk assessment procedure.
Coastal Ecosystems Position Statement
Decision MPA 246 (2017-246-9 on 29/06/2017): The Authority:
- Approved the release of the Coastal Ecosystems Position Statement for public comment.
- Delegated to the Chairman of the Authority the power to approve the Coastal Ecosystems Position Statement if public comment results in minimal change.
Summit Outcomes and Operational Review Workshop
Decision MPA 246 (2017-246-12 on 29/06/2017): The Authority:
- Noted the outcomes of the Great Barrier Reef Summit – Managing for Resilience (the Summit) and the subsequent development of the blueprint for action.
- Noted the linkages between Summit outcomes and the Operational Review.
Reef Advisory Committees - Presentation from the Indigenous Reef Advisory Committee Chair
Decision MPA 246 (2017-246-13 on 29/06/2017): The Authority noted the update from the Indigenous Reef Advisory Chair (Mr Phil Rist).
- Dr Russell Reichelt FTSE [Chairman]
- Miss Melissa George
- Professor Emma Johnston
- Mrs Margie McKenzie
- Mr Dave Stewart