The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority is advised on Marine Park management issues at a local level by voluntary community-based committees called Local Marine Advisory Committees.
The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority has identified regional locations Local Marine Advisory Committees can be formed to provide a forum for stakeholders to discuss issues and provide locally specific input into Marine Park management arrangements.
Contact us for more information.
Phone: (07) 4750 0700
Post: Local Marine Advisory Committee Coordinator
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
PO Box 1379
Townsville QLD 4810
The purpose of the Committees is to :
- provide advice to the Authority on Marine Park issues and management proposals which support the long-term protection, ecologically sustainable use, understanding and enjoyment of the Great Barrier Reef.
- promote the exchange of information between the Reef stakeholders, the Authority and management partners; and
- encourage, through local community networks, actions that reduce threats to the Reef and build resilience (as identified in the Reef Blueprint, Outlook Report and the Reef 2050 Long-Term Sustainability Plan).
The terms of reference provides further information on the how the committees help the Marine Park Authority and other management agencies keep in touch with marine and coastal issues at a local level and understand the use of the Marine Park.
We have a range of promotional materials and resources available below for Local Marine Advisory Committee (LMAC) use. Simply share on relevant social media platforms or local newsletters to increase awareness about what’s involved in being a member and to attract nominees across a diverse audience.
Use #lovethereef and follow the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority on Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn to help spread the word.
- Local Marine Advisory Committee - Welcome Presentation
- Local Marine Advisory Committee - 2021 Flyer (PDF)
- Local Marine Advisory Committee - 2021 Facebook and LinkedIn asset
- Local Marine Advisory Committee - 2021 Rectangle tile asset one
- Local Marine Advisory Committee - 2021 Rectangle tile asset two