Special management areas
- Conservation of a particular species or natural resource for example turtle, dugong, bird nesting sites or fish spawning aggregation sites
- Public safety
- To ensure opportunities for appreciation by the public
- Response to an emergency (for example, a ship grounding, oil spill or marine pest outbreak).
- Maclennan Cay Reef (11-070a)
- Moulter Cay Reef (11-130)
- Raine Island Reef (11-243)
- Australian Institute of Marine Science (SR-19-2008)
- One Tree Island Reef (SR-23-2010).
- Yonge Reef (14-138) - lee side (CP-14-4017)
- Lizard Island Reef (14-116b): Mermaid Bay to Pigeon Point (CP-14-4018)
- North Opal Reef (16-025) (CP-16-4029)
- Flynn Reef (16-065) (CP-16-4035)
- Thetford Reef (16-068) (CP-16-4036)
- Fitzroy Island Reef (16-054) (16-16-4039) - allows aquaculture operations
- Dunk Island Reef (CP-17-4045/MNP-17-1073)
- Bedarra Island Reef (CP-17-4045)
- Orpheus Island Reef south-west (18-049b and c) (CP-18-4053)
- Davies Reef (18-096) (CP-18-4056)
- Cape Upstart (CP-19-4064) western side only
- All of the following areas of the Conservation Park (Yellow) Zone within the Whitsundays:
- Hayman and Hook Islands (CP-20-4075)
- Saba Bay, Hook Island (CP-20-4076)
- Double Cone Reef (CP-20-4077)
- Molle Islands (CP-20-4080)
- Whitsunday and Hamilton Islands (CP-20-4081)
- Shute Island (CP-20-4083)
- Long Island (CP-20-4084 and CP-20-4085)
- Lindeman, Pentecost, Cole Island, except tha part of the zone adjacent to Shaw Island (CP-20-4086).
- Brampton Island - West (CP-20-4091)
- Brampton Island - East (CP-20-4091)
- North Keppel Island - Considine Bay (CP-23-4101)
- Great Keppel Island - western side (CP-23-4102)
- Heron Reef (CP-23-4104)
- Wistari Reef (CP-23-4106).
Seasonal Closure (Offshore Ribbon Reefs)
- Areas adjacent to Day Reef (14-089) Scientific Research (Orange) Zone (SR-14-2001)
- Area adjacent to Ribbon No. 10 Reef (14-146) Marine National Park (Green) Zone (MNP-14-1030)
- Area adjacent to Ribbon No. 7 Reef (15-026), Ribbon No. 6 Reef (15-032) Preservation (Pink) Zone (P-15-12) and unnamed reef (15-034) Marine National Park (Green) Zone
- Ribbon No. 5 Reef Patches (15-042) Buffer (Olive Green) Zone (B-15-3007)
- Ribbon No. 2 and 3 Reefs and interreefal areas Buffer (Olive Green) Zone (B-15-3008).
No Dories Detached (Offshore Ribbon Reefs)
- Area to the east of Yonge Reef (14-138) and no name Reef (14-139)
- Area around the No. 10 Patches (No. 3) (14-153a) and No. 10 Patches (No. 4) (14-153b).
Species Conservation (Dugong Protection)
- Hinchinbrook and Taylors Beach
- Cleveland Bay and Bowling Green Bay*
- Upstart Bay
- Edgecumbe Bay
- Repulse Bay, Newry Region and Sandy Bay
- Ince Bay, Llewewellyn Bay and Clairview Region
- Shoalwater Bay and Port Clinton
- Rodds Bay
Clarification of rules in Dugong Protection Area Bs for net fishing
Princess Charlotte Bay
If you're heading out on the water, download and use the free zoning app so you know where you can go and what you can do.
We're delighted to celebrate the 40 years of the managing the Great Barrier Reef.
Visit our Great Barrier Reef and discover its amazing animals, plants, and habitats.
Everyone has a role to play in protecting our Great Barrier Reef. Find out what you can do to help protect this great Australian icon.
If you see sick, dead or stranded marine animals please call RSPCA QLD 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625)
A Vulnerability Assessment: of the issues that could have far-reaching consequences for the Great Barrier Reef.
Current Conditions: Environmental and climatic forecasts for the Great Barrier Reef
The Great Barrier Reef is under pressure. Many people, including Reef Guardians, are making a difference.
Become a marine scientist for a day Download our free app to share your sightings.
Published every five years, our Outlook Report provides an overview of Reef health and management.
Learn more about how the Australian and Queensland are managing the Reef through Reef 2050.