Cairns area maps and zoning

What you need to know about zoning in the Cairns area

The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park (Australian Government) and Great Barrier Reef Coast Marine Park (Queensland Government) are multiple-use areas. Zoning plans help to manage and protect the values of the Marine Parks that users enjoy.

The Australian Government’s Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Zoning Plan 2003 and the Queensland Government's Marine Parks (Great Barrier Reef Coast) Zoning Plan 2004 define the activities that can occur in specific locations both to protect the marine environment and to separate potentially conflicting activities.

It is important that you are aware of the zone you are in while you are on the water, so take time to check where you are going and what you can do there. The activities guide sets out what you can do in each zone. Please refer to it carefully before taking part in any activities in the Marine Parks.

Get your free zoning map for the Cairns area from bait and tackle shops, ship chandlers, visitor information centres and Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service offices. Alternatively, phone the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority on  1800 990 177 or email to request a copy.

Please note: The activities that can be carried out within the Great Barrier Reef Coast Marine Park and Great Barrier Reef Marine Park are generally the same, however there may be some differences. Refer to the relevant zoning plans for further details.

Make sure you take your map with you and consult it regularly. Fines apply for breaching Marine Parks legislation.

In zones where fishing is allowed, Queensland fisheries legislation also applies. For information about fisheries legislation contact Fisheries Queensland on 13 25 23.