Extended Charters

There is a small group of operators who offer their clients customised charters throughout the Marine Park specialising in small group tours and ranging over long distances (sometimes well beyond the Marine Park). This is a diverse sector with operators based throughout the Marine Park.

What permits do I need?

To undertake extended charters in or through the Marine Park, you will need a Marine Parks permit. In general suitable permits are easy to get.

You will also need additional Queensland Government permits if you wish to offer fishing to your clients. Contact the Queensland Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries.

If you wish to access islands and island National Parks, including camping and picnic sites, while on your charters you may require additional permits from the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service.

What particular requirements are there?

As an extended charter operator, you are likely to be visiting a wide range of areas and locations within the Marine Park. Before your charter, please check the particular management arrangements for where you go, paying particular attention to zoning and plan of management requirements.

Your Marine Parks permit will contain some important requirements about operating in the Marine Park. Please make sure you know your permit conditions. Generally, extended charter permits contain a condition that you may only visit an individual location twice, totalling no more than 48 hours, in any 7-day period. This is to ensure that your operation is not focussed on a single location.

What are the long range roving permits?

There are about 30 Marine Parks permits that have been tailored to a specific style of operation known as long range roving. No additional long range roving permits can be granted, but existing permits may be transferred.

Because there is a limited number of these permits, there are some special requirements about their use.

How can I help protect the Reef

As an operator who travels widely in the Marine Park, you can play a very special role helping to keep the Great Barrier Reef great for the future by observing and reporting incidents and changes to the Reef. In particular, you can participate in the Eye on the Reef program by using the Sightings Network to record wildlife observations and environmental incidents or for those that do in-water activities, use the Rapid Monitoring surveying tool to provide reef health data from infrequently visited locations. You can also report any incidents or suspected offences through the incident report form.  

Whenever you are operating in the Marine Park, you can help protect the Reef by following the responsible reef practices for your activities.

Environmental Management Charge Arrangements

If your extended charter is for more than three days in the Marine Park, you may not need to collect the Environmental Management Charge for the fourth and subsequent days. You must still record these days in your logbook.