Special tourism permissions
Expressions of Interest: special permissions in the Whitsunday Planning Area
Special permissions allow operators to conduct tourism activities or operate private moorings that have been limited under the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park management arrangements. These special tourism permissions are only offered through an allocation process.
On 13 April 2018, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (the Authority) commenced a call for expressions of interest for the following special permissions that are limited opportunities in the Whitsunday Planning Area within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park:
- Five regional tour operations allowing daily access to the planning area using a fixed-wing aircraft (that is not a seaplane, flying boat or amphibian) for scenic flights without landing in the planning area
- Three private moorings in the Woodwark Bay South Location - applicants are also encouraged to comment on the Authority’s draft Woodwark Bay Site Plan
- Three Bowen operations allowing daily access to the planning area without a booking, providing all passengers embark or disembark from Bowen.
Expressions of interest applications must be made via expression of interest application package and must address the following selection criteria:
- Demonstrated competence and knowledge relevant to the tourism or mooring opportunity
- The extent to which the operation will enhance protection of Marine Park values, for example through adoption of best practices and use of environmentally friendly technology
- The extent to which the operation will enhance presentation of Marine Park values, for example the quality and quantity of interpretation and education and the standard of client services and infrastructure
- Contribution to management that directly assists the Authority to fulfil its management responsibilities (for example undertaking specific management tasks).
All selection criteria are weighted equally.
The expressions of interest application and associated lodgement fee of $354 must be received by the Authority no later than 5.00 pm AEST Monday 14 May 2018. Expressions of interest can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Late applications will not be considered.
The successful applicants who are ranked highest against the selection criteria will be offered the opportunity. The successful applicants will need to make a Marine Parks permit application and pay the relevant assessment fee.
Full details about the opportunities available and how to apply can be found within the expression of interest application package.
For further enquiries contact the Authority via email email@example.com.
If you're heading out on the water, download and use the free zoning app so you know where you can go and what you can do.
We're delighted to celebrate the 40 years of the managing the Great Barrier Reef.
Visit our Great Barrier Reef and discover its amazing animals, plants, and habitats.
Everyone has a role to play in protecting our Great Barrier Reef. Find out what you can do to help protect this great Australian icon.
If you see sick, dead or stranded marine animals please call RSPCA QLD 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625)
A Vulnerability Assessment: of the issues that could have far-reaching consequences for the Great Barrier Reef.
Current Conditions: Environmental and climatic forecasts for the Great Barrier Reef
The Great Barrier Reef is under pressure. Many people, including Reef Guardians, are making a difference.
Become a marine scientist for a day Download our free app to share your sightings.
Published every five years, our Outlook Report provides an overview of Reef health and management.
Learn more about how the Australian and Queensland are managing the Reef through Reef 2050.