Now open 2017 Science for Management Awards
Applications are now open for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s 2017 Science for Management Awards - applications are accepted from 20 January 2017 until close of business 10 March 2017.
The awards support new management-relevant research that addresses key risks and threats faced by the Great Barrier Reef. The awards provide an important avenue for postgraduate students to contribute directly to improved future management of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
About the grant program
The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s Science for Management Awards grant program provides funding to students working towards a doctorate or master’s degree in the physical, biological and social science disciplines.
The Science for Management Awards 2017 program aims to support research which:
- is relevant to the planning and management of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and World Heritage Area;
- makes a contribution to the Reef's ecologically sustainable development; and
- is particularly relevant to addressing the knowledge gaps identified in the agency’s Science Strategy and Information Needs 2014-2016 (supported by the online Register of Research Questions).
The awards are in the form of financial assistance, ranging from $1000 to $5000 for successful projects. They’re open to doctorate and masters students in the physical, biological and social science fields throughout Australia.
Applicants are advised to carefully read the Guidelines for the Science for Management Awards 2017 before applying.
Applying for a grant
The closing date for submitting applications is 10 March 2017.
Applications will be assessed in a competitive, merit-based process against the program’s assessment criteria. Following assessment of the applications, applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome in April 2017.
The following information may be useful when preparing your application:
- Guidelines – Science for Management Awards 2017
- Application form – Proposal for Science for Management Award 2017
- Grant Agreement template – Science for Management Awards 2017
- Science Strategy and Information Needs 2014-2019
- Register of Research Questions
Other relevant documents:
- Great Barrier Reef Outlook Report 2014
- Reef 2050 Long-term Sustainability Plan
- Great Barrier Reef Region Strategic Assessment Report
Telephone: (07) 4750 0700
We’ve run the Science for Management Awards for more than 30 years, providing financial support to more than 200 postgraduate students. Details of past recipients and their projects are available:
If you're heading out on the water, don't forget your free Zoning Map so you know where you can go and what you can do.
We're delighted to celebrate the 40 years of the managing the Great Barrier Reef.
Visit our Great Barrier Reef and discover its amazing animals, plants, and habitats.
Everyone has a role to play in protecting our Great Barrier Reef. Find out what you can do to help protect this great Australian icon.
If you see sick, dead or stranded marine animals please call RSPCA QLD 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625)
A Vulnerability Assessment: of the issues that could have far-reaching consequences for the Great Barrier Reef.
Current Conditions: Environmental and climatic forecasts for the Great Barrier Reef
The Great Barrier Reef is under pressure. Many people, including Reef Guardians, are making a difference.
Become a marine scientist for a day Download our free app to share your sightings.
Published every five years, our Outlook Report provides an overview of Reef health and management.
Learn more about how the Australian and Queensland are managing the Reef through Reef 2050.