13 March 2018 – Airlie Beach
The Marine Park Authority Board (MPA) convened on Tuesday 13 March 2018. Members discussed the Reconciliation Action Plan; Coastal Ecosystems Position Statement; the establishment of new Reef Advisory Committees and received a presentation from the Chair of the Tourism Reef Advisory Committee.
Reconciliation Action Plan
Decision MPA 249 (2018-249-09 on 13/03/2018): The Authority:
- Endorsed the proposed statement of support from the Board included in the draft of the Authority’s Reflect Reconciliation Action Plan with minor amendments.
- Endorsed the intent of the Authority’s Reflect Reconciliation Plan prior to lodgement with Reconciliation Australia for final ratification.
Coastal Ecosystems Position Statement
Decision MPA 249 (2018-249-10 on 13/03/2018): The Authority:
- Approved the final Coastal Ecosystems Position Statement for release, subject to final proofreading
- Noted the key themes emerging from public submissions and the Authority’s changes to the Position Statement in responding to the public consultation.
- Noted the decision will be published in accordance with the Information Publication Scheme.
Establishment of new Reef Advisory Committees
Decision MPA 249 (2018-249-12 on 13/03/2018): The Authority:
- Agreed to delay the establishment of new RACs until the new Chairperson, CEO and the Board Members are in place.
- Approved extension of the existing Tourism Reef Advisory Committee and Indigenous Reef Advisory Committee through to 30 June 2019 to facilitate this.
- Noted the RAC Charter of Operations and Terms of Reference will be reviewed as part of establishing new RACs.
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Reef Advisory Committees - Presentation from the Tourism Reef Advisory Committee Chair
Decision MPA 249 (2018-249-13 on 13/03/2018): The Authority:
- Noted the Tourism Reef Advisory Committee Chair, Ms Glenys Schuntner, provided an update on issues considered and advice provided by the Tourism Reef Advisory Committee to the Authority.