4 December 2018 – Townsville
The Marine Park Authority Board (MPA) convened on Tuesday, 4 December 2018. Members discussed the Board Governance Review including strategies to support diversity and gender equity in the Board, review of the committee’s framework, Board assessment methods and the content and scheduling of future Board meetings; the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage Strategy and engagement work undertaken by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority with Traditional Owner groups as well as discussing the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s Pre-Summer Workshop.
Decision MPA 252 (2018-252-02 on 04/12/2018): The Authority:
- NOTED the commencement on 29th October 2018 of Schedule 1 of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Amendment (Authority Governance and Other Matters) Act 2018 – Authority Governance (Attachment A).
- DISCUSSED implementation of the Governance Review (Attachment B), including the development of a Board Charter and formalised induction processes for all Board Members.
- NOTED ongoing probity review of interests of the Board in relation to the amendments to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Act.
- NOTED proposed implementation of Board Meeting software in 2019.
- CONFIRMED there is no objection to the publication of the information
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage Strategy
Decision MPA 252 (2018-252-06 on 04/12/2018): The Authority:
- APPROVED the final Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage Strategy for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
- NOTED and supports the proposed initial activities for implementation.
- NOTED the decision will be published in accordance with the Information Publication Scheme.
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Pre-Summer Workshop
Decision MPA 252 (2018-252-16a on 04/12/2018): The Authority:
- NOTED the GBRMPA pre-summer workshop summary and associated plan.
Members of the Authority
- Dr Ian Poiner (Chairperson)
- Mr Bruce Elliot (Acting Chief Executive Officer)
- Professor Emma Johnston AO
- Mr Dave Stewart