While the Whitsunday Local Marine Advisory Committee (LMAC) normally meets at Airlie Beach, it covers the coastal and inland area extending from Yeates Creek in the north to Midge Point in the south and includes the coastal towns of Proserpine, Airlie Beach and numerous island and beachside settlements.
The Whitsunday Region supports the towns of Proserpine, Airlie Beach and surrounding communities. Sugar cane production and agriculture are the main industries around Proserpine.
Whilst tourism is a mainstay of the Whitsundays, the region also incorporates agriculture, fishing and aquaculture activities.
Local Marine Advisory Committee recent activities
- Providing questions to guide shark research development in the Whitsundays
- Supporting Cannonvale State School to revitalise their environmental area
- Bringing the Reef to the Airlief Beach Reef Festival through a Nature Celebration
- Supporting Whitsundays Catchment Landcare's Nelly Bay Eco Walk
- Producing a video to educate boat drivers about "going slow for those below" to reduce turtle injuries cause by boat strikes
Whitsunday Local Marine Advisory Committee chair Olivia Brodhurst is seeking representatives from stakeholder groups including commercial fishers.
Local Marine Advisory Committee members
For further information please contact:Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
Central Regional Office
PO Box 94
MACKAY QLD 4740
Tel: (07) 4951 3454