The 2019 Reef Guardian Sea Country grants are now open,
Grants of $1000 to $10,000 are available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander land and sea management organisations for small sea country and heritage management projects.
These grants are part of the Marine Park Authority implementing its Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage Strategy for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, released earlier this year.
Applications for sea country grants that support initiatives keeping Indigenous heritage values of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park strong, safe and healthy close 27 November 2019.
The grants program aims to develop stewardship leaders in the Great Barrier Reef region who:
- build knowledge, skills and networks to enable management of the Reef
- contribute to caring for the Reef through participation in local stewardship, capacity building and research projects
- keep Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park strong, safe and healthy
- feel proud of their stewardship of the Reef, are confident and motivated to improve their efforts, and encourage others to contribute.
The 2019 Reef Guardian Stewardship grants closed on 28 October 2019.
About the grants program
Reef Guardians is an initiative of the Australian Government’s Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority. It provides activities and support to enable the community to work together today, for a healthier Reef tomorrow.
The Reef Guardians Grant Program replaces previously existing granting activities run by the Authority including the Ripples of Change Grants, the Local Marine Advisory Committee Project Funds and the Science for Management Awards.
The Reef Guardian Grants invest in ‘empowering people to be part of the solution’, a key strategy in the Great Barrier Reef blueprint for resilience. They support Reef Guardians, Local Marine Advisory Committees, Great Barrier Reef Traditional Owner groups, researchers and the wider community in their efforts to positively influence current and future values of the Great Barrier Reef.
Grant opportunities within the program are:
- Reef Guardian Sea Country Grants
- Reef Guardian Stewardship Grants - 2019 grants now closed
- Reef Guardian Research Grants
See what activities were undertaken by previous grant recipients.
For further information:
Phone: (07) 4750 0700