The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Corporate Plan 2019-20 sets our strategic direction for the agency for the next four years. Together with the Portfolio Budget Statements and annual report it forms the planning and performance framework for the Authority.
The plan outlines our purpose, role, values and operating environment. It uses key reports and strategies to guide our strategic priorities and inform our adaptive management of the Marine Park, including:
- Great Barrier Reef Outlook Report 2019
- Great Barrier Reef blueprint for resilience
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage Strategy for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
The plan was developed in accordance with the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 requirements.
A healthy Great Barrier Reef for future generations.
Provide for the long-term protection, ecologically sustainable use, understanding and enjoyment of the Great Barrier Reef for all Australians and the international community through the care and development of the Marine Park.
The Authority is committed to:
- excellence in all that we do
- inspiring all to take action to protect the Reef
- being decisive and innovative when applying the best available science and knowledge to address the challenges facing the Reef
- continuous improvement in our systems, processes and people’s capabilities.
We will achieve our purpose through the delivery of four program areas:
- Providing expert knowledge to influence and advise key decision-makers on managing, reducing or avoiding significant threats to the Reef
- Regulating and ensuring marine park user compliance
- Educating and fostering stewardship to enhance protection of the Reef
- Enhancing Reef resilience through continuous improvement and new initiatives across all aspects of management
These are supporting through seven corporate and enabling functions focused on providing efficient and effective services.
Our priorities for the next four years
- Strategically advise on the policy settings and governance of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area
- Modernising our approach to managing risks
- Transforming policy, planning and our regulatory approach
- Delivering conservation actions and expanding our in-park presence
- Fostering partnerships