Reef Guardians Research Grants 2018
Applications are now open for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s Reef Guardians Research Grants 2018 (previously called the Science for Management Awards) — from 8 December 2017 to 14 February 2018.
The grants support new management-relevant research that addresses key risks and threats faced by the Great Barrier Reef. The grants provide an important avenue for postgraduate students to contribute directly to improved future management of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
About the grants program
The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s Reef Guardians Research Grants program provides funding to students working towards a doctorate or master’s degree in the physical, biological and social science disciplines.
The Reef Guardian Research Grants 2018 program aims to support research which:
- is relevant to the planning and management of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and World Heritage Area;
- makes a contribution to the Reef's ecologically sustainable development; and
- is particularly relevant to addressing the knowledge gaps identified in the Agency’s Science Strategy and Information Needs 2014-2019 (supported by the online Register of Research Questions).
The grants are in the form of financial assistance, ranging from $1000 to $5000 for successful projects. They’re open to doctorate and master’s students in the physical, biological and social science fields throughout Australia.
Applying for a grant
The closing date for submitting applications is 14 February 2018.
Applicants should complete the online Application form via the Smartygrant platform and submit their completed application electronically.
Applications will be assessed in a competitive, merit-based process against the program’s assessment criteria.Following assessment of the applications, applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome in April 2018.
Application preparation documents
- Example application form - this will give you an idea of the Smartygrants application process
- Project Endorsement Form
- Reef Guardian Research Commonwealth Grant Agreement
- Reef Guardians Grants Guidelines
- Reef Guardian Research Grants 2018 application form
- Science Strategy and Information Needs 2014-2019
- Register of Research Questions
- Great Barrier Reef Outlook Report 2014
- Reef 2050 Long-term Sustainability Plan
- Great Barrier Reef Region Strategic Assessment Report
Phone: (07) 4750 0700
If you're heading out on the water, download and use the free zoning app so you know where you can go and what you can do.
We're delighted to celebrate the 40 years of the managing the Great Barrier Reef.
Visit our Great Barrier Reef and discover its amazing animals, plants, and habitats.
Everyone has a role to play in protecting our Great Barrier Reef. Find out what you can do to help protect this great Australian icon.
If you see sick, dead or stranded marine animals please call RSPCA QLD 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625)
A Vulnerability Assessment: of the issues that could have far-reaching consequences for the Great Barrier Reef.
Current Conditions: Environmental and climatic forecasts for the Great Barrier Reef
The Great Barrier Reef is under pressure. Many people, including Reef Guardians, are making a difference.
Become a marine scientist for a day Download our free app to share your sightings.
Published every five years, our Outlook Report provides an overview of Reef health and management.
Learn more about how the Australian and Queensland are managing the Reef through Reef 2050.