The grants support stewardship initiatives that address key risks and threats faced by the Great Barrier Reef. The grants provide an important avenue for schools, councils, community groups and environmental groups to contribute directly to an improved future for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
About the grants program
The objective of the Program is to support locally relevant stewardship projects which provide accessible opportunities for the community to contribute to caring for the Reef. Successful projects will not only contribute to positive environmental outcomes, they will assist in building pride, confidence, and will strengthen the local community’s capacity and motivation for further stewardship of the Reef.
Within this context, the aims of the Program are to:
- Foster a culture of community stewardship of the Reef;
- Stimulate and empower communities to take local action, to enhance health and resilience of the Reef;
- Develop partnerships and networks within Reef communities, extending to management agencies, Traditional Owner Groups and Indigenous Ranger Programs and partner institutions;
- Influence social and environmental drivers affecting the Reef, its catchment and communities
Applying for a grant
Applicants should complete the online application form, via SmartyGrants and submit their completed application electronically.
Applications will be assessed in a competitive, merit-based process against the program’s assessment criteria. Following assessment of the applications, applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome in May 2018.
When applying for a Reef Guardian Community Grant, the applicant will need to seek endorsement from the relevant Local Marine Advisory Committee. The applicant should complete the project endorsement template and email to email@example.com prior to the relevant Local Marine Advisory Committee meeting date.
Application preparation documents
- Reef Guardian Grants Guidelines
- Reef Guardian Grant Planning Guide
- Project endorsement template
- Frequently asked questions
The following documents are templates only and are not required to be completed. They are for information only.
Phone: (07) 4750 0700