Applications are now open for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s Reef Guardians Research Grants 2019 (previously called the Science for Management Awards).
About the grants program
The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s Reef Guardians Research Grants program provides funding to doctorate or master’s degree students in the physical, biological, social, economic and cultural disciplines working on research which:
- is relevant to the planning and management of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and World Heritage Area
- makes a contribution to the Reef's ecologically sustainable development
- is particularly relevant to addressing the knowledge gaps identified in the Agency’s Science Strategy and Information Needs 2014-2019 (supported by the online Register of Research Questions).
The grants are in the form of financial assistance ranging from $1000 to $5000 for successful projects.
Applying for a grant
To apply for a grant, you will need to register with the online SmartyGrants portal. Further information about the application process and how to register can be found on the SmartyGrants website.
Application preparation documents
- Example application form - this will give you an idea of the Smartygrants application process
- Project Endorsement Form
- Reef Guardian Research Commonwealth Grant Agreement
- Reef Guardians Grants Guidelines
- Reef Guardian Research Grants 2019 application form
- Science Strategy and Information Needs 2014-2019
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority's Blueprint for Resilience
- Register of Research Questions
- Great Barrier Reef Outlook Report 2014
- Reef 2050 Long-Term Sustainability Plan
- Great Barrier Reef Region Strategic Assessment Report
Phone: (07) 4750 0700